NAME: Don and Joan Hopler
ADDRESS: 920 Cranes Gap Road, Carlisle, PA. 17013
PHONE: (717) 245-0019
SWIG Offices Served:
Committees Served: Wine Competition (Don)
1. How did you get started in Wine-making?
We bought a kit from Cabela’s on sale. We saw an ad in the Guide that Mel Heffley was selling grapes.
2. How long have you been making wine?
3. First Wine you made?
Totem Pole Merlot 2009 *see photo above
Mr. Don’s White Wine Dragon Wiz
(Mel Heffley JS) 2009 *see photo above
Miss Joan’s Mountain Dog Kickass Concord 2009 * see photo above
4. What type of wine do you make?
Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Riesling, Chambourcin, Regent, and Zweigelt. We experimented with Mango and it was good. Our cranberry will be better as it ages. We will be having Frontenac Gris and Frontenac Red as our signature wines.
5. What are your Favorite wines to drink?
All of them! I especially like Chambourcin and Frontenac.
6. What is your wine preference?
7. Do you grow grapes?
8. What kind do you grow?
Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Riesling, Chambourcin, Regent, Zweigelt, Frontenac Gris, Frontenac Red, Concord, Buffalo, and Landot Noir.
9. How long have you been with SWiG?
10. How did you come to find the Susquehanna Wine Guild?
We visited Mel Heffley’s vineyard the weekend after the SWiG picnic.
11. Hobbies/Favorite things you like to do?
Joan – baking, cooking, jigsaw puzzles, turning pens.
Don – woodworking and smoking meats.